What if I told you Twitter was sitting on something BIG? Get your mind out of the gutter! Buried deep inside Twitter is a simple, sexy fix for our social media woes – hate speech, cancel culture, rage mobs, demonetization and silencing of free speech. The same fix would work for Facebook, YouTube, and other social media services. There’s just one problem. Like a Japanese horror flick, the social media monster jumped off our iPhone screens and into the real world. And it wants our silence.
In this episode:
- How we tame the social media monster.
- The definitive case for online free speech – and why even hate speech is our last defense against the slippery slope that’s already here.
This is only the beginning!
Links mentioned in this episode:
- Section 230 of the US legal code
- Social media as a civil liberty by Will Chamberlain.
- Bill Maher “Everybody gets to speak.”
- Why Monopoly is the Future and We Love It
- How corporate censorship becomes state censorship
- Soph, a 14-year-old girl who accumulated nearly a million followers who does hardcore right wing “satire”
- Twitter on “deadnaming”
- Telegram is the latest app for white nationalists
- Gab cut off by stripe, paypal & Joyent
- Financial Blacklisting: Chase Bank De-Platforms 3
- The mess in Europe
- In Europe, Hate Speech Laws are Often Used to Suppress and Punish Left-Wing Viewpoints
- Rammstein make a defiant statement in protest of Russia’s “gay propaganda” law.
- EU hails social media crackdown on hate speech
- Arrests for offensive Facebook and Twitter posts soar in London
- Britain Turns Offensive Speech Into a Police Matter
- Scottish prankster gets 6 months for teaching a pug to do a Nazi salute and posting it on YouTube